Five Interesting Facts You Didn't Know About Adventureland in Disneyland


Although Adventureland is one of the smallest lands of the whole park (not counting the three acres that consists of the Jungle Cruise alone), it's one of the most beloved. Guests have enjoyed looking at the backside of water since the park first opened in 1955 and with the Indiana Jones attraction now there, it's not hard to see why Adventureland is also one of the most congested areas in the whole park. But, did you know…

Adventureland was originally planned for the OTHER side of the park (where Space Mountain now sits.)

Originally, the land was to be called True-Life Adventureland. It was to be named after the True-Life documentaries that were being aired on television at the same time that the park was being built. The episodes were hugely popular at the time by Disney viewers. However, when it came to finalizing the name of the land, they shortened it to Adventureland.

There is a large, 10 year old canary date palm tree in the middle of Adventureland that is also known as the Dominguez palm. It was named so because a portion of the Disneyland land was purchased from the Dominguez family. The tree was planted in 1896 and was presented to the Dominguez family as a wedding gift. One of the stipulations of the sale was that the canary date palm was stay on the property. In 1955, when the park opened, the tree was moved to its current location in Adventureland.

In 2004, all of the lighting was replaced at the entrance to Adventureland. Lighting was added inside and behind the South Seas drums to provide more effective atmosphere lighting.

Bill Evans, a landscaper who would provide the most influence for all of the landscaping over all of the parks for 50 years began as Walt's home landscaper. He introduced new ways to look at landscaping that made the landscaping more of a character in the story, as the Imagineers would say. He was credited to have come up with the fictional Latin names given for the different patches of weeds in the unfinished parts of the park (during those days leading up to the park's opening.)